Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Splendiforous Steak Salad with Homemade Croutons






It was really hot today. Like, really hot.
This is he first conversation I had this morning:
P: It's supposed to be really warm today. Like, 70"
Me: "74"
Later that day...
Sign outside of the bank: "79".

Now, many of you may think that that isn't anything to complain about, but I live in WA, so yeah, it's hot.
And what is perfect for a hot day meal?

SALAD

Now, for me, carbs and red meat make every meal glorious, so this salad rocks my rhetorical socks.

What you'll need:
1 Bag Mixed Greens (I like bitter lettuces, but if you like something more mellow, romain is perfect)
1 Medium Avocado
1 Large Tomato
Half a Sourdough Baguette
Olive Oil
Goat Cheese
Green Onions
1 Flank Steak
Garlic


First, we'll start with the croutons. Cut the baguette into 1x1 in. cubes.



Then heat a pan that  has been GENEROUSLY coated in olive oil. Chop1 large clove of garlic.



Add the garlic and bread cubes to pan, and sauté until toasted.



When golden, transfer croutons to cookie sheet and bake at 350 dergrees for 10 minutes.



Now that those are done, go ahead and start preparing your salad. Chop tomato, avocado, and green onions and add to the lettuce mix in large bowl.



Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium high heat. Season steak with salt and pepper to taste. Add meat to frying pan and cook to your liking. (I love rare meat, so I really just put a sear on the steak, so the middle is nice and red.)



When done and cooled, slice steak in quarter inch slices, and place on top of veggies. 
Garnish with croutons and goat cheese :) I dressed this salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, as usual, but anything really will work with this salad. 

Toasted pine nuts is a nice little addition too.

This was really yummy ( I know, I say everything is yummy, but if it wasn't then I wouldn't log about it, right?) and totally hit the spot on this super caliente day!

No comments:

Post a Comment